Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: driver retaining screws

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    driver retaining screws

    I'm expecting a driver for one of the Butterfly cabinets I got awhile back to get delivered shortly. Today, I decided to buy some screws for installation. Altec used 1/4-20 threads, for 15" drivers. These Butterflys use 10-32, but the drivers are 12", not 15. What did Altec use for 12" drivers? I don't recall what my 1221A stage monitors used to hold the 417's in place, and I've since given the cabinets away, so I can't go look.

    10-32, just seems small to me. Any thoughts?

    I was going to buy Allen head screws, but they were a lot more expensive.... 65 vs. 12 cents. I didn't want to spend over $10 on a handful of screws!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Nothin? No thoughts? No opinions?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    driver retaining screws


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    I've used both with no issues. I prefer stainless bolts, but here they don't cost much more.

    YMMV.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    A 10-32 carbon steel machine screw has 1200 lbs tensile, so "the rest of the story" is what really matters.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I've used both with no issues. I prefer stainless bolts, but here they don't cost much more.
    I thought about stainless, but didn't want to pay extra for it if I was going to end up with Philips head screws. I didn't even look at the price of stainless Allen head.... the regular Allen head was high enough.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    A 10-32 carbon steel machine screw has 1200 lbs tensile, so "the rest of the story" is what really matters.
    I guess what bothers me is the possibility of the driver being shifted before being tightened down since the screws are smaller than the holes in the driver, plus the heads are small..... even with washers.

    Didn't get my driver, like I was hoping. Found a Beyma 12LX60 on ebay cheap.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Well, there's always collar bolts..........

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Well, there's always collar bolts..........
    I'm not familiar with collar bolts..... I did see a type of screw/bolt that had a larger head, but it didn't look like it was any bigger than a washer.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    You probably are and just don't know what they're known as at the manufacturing level. Lawnmowers or other plastic hub wheel devices use them as axles. Other examples:

    Hex Head Bolts,Collar Bolts Manufacturer,Hex Head Bolts Exporter,Collar Bolts Supplier,India,Manufacturers,Exporters


    Hexagon collar bolts

    Usually found at auto parts or the better stocked hardware emporiums.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: driver retaining screws

    Ok, I've seen those before..... probably labeled as shoulder bolts, or axle bolts. I don't think I've seen any small enough for my needs, Though. I suppose McMaster-Carr probably has them.

    The second link you provided was a bit different..... the step was tapered. I wonder if they get used in some sort of centering application.

    I guess I'll use what I've already purchased. I think each driver takes 8 screws in this application, and like Bfish was indicating, they won't pull out. Money is definitely an issue at this point. I'll just have to be careful to get them lined up right.

    Still waiting on the driver
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.